Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Are you keeping yourself from happiness?

Everyone has been hurt, betrayed, done wrong, put in a bad situation, forgotten, lied to, cheated on, the list of being disrespected and wronged goes on and on. We have all been there! The funny thing is that some people hold on to past hurts while others hurt, get over it, and move on. What type of person are you?
Are you so consumed with how people have done you wrong in the past that it is consuming your life? I was watching an episode of Oprah in which she was talking about how angry she was at someone. She said that she was so consumed with being angry at this woman that she stayed angry. What opened her eyes about the situation was when she saw the woman at a gas station and the woman was happy. She was smiling and everything was fine! While Oprah was spending her energy being mad, angry, etc. at this woman the culprit was just fine and dandy. This is the case in most situations. The people that consume your energy and keep you angry are usually not giving you a second thought because they have moved on with being happy!
So EXHALE and Get over it! The past is the past and the damage has been done. There is no such thing as a take it back time machine. So you have no choice but to forgive and forget. (Yes, I said forget.) You can never be happy as long as you are consumed with someone else’s life. So next time you find yourself angry and trying to think of ways to sabotage someone’s life ask yourself, “Where is my obsession with wanting them to be unhappy because I am getting me?”  You will find that at the end of the day anger and resentment only keep your most important person –YOU- unhappy.

1 comment:

  1. Wow heather this post was so on point. I had an ex five years ago who really did me nasty and I never truly got over it. Fast foward I happened to run into a friend of his and he was telling me how my ex was doing great in life with a new career,fiance', and baby! Infelt rrally sad when I realised my life had been at a stand still cause I kept reliving the pain he put me through. While the whole I time I was mourning him he went on to live his life. That was a real wakeup call to me to get back out there and finish the goals I had set out for myself.

    ReplyDelete