Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A day in the life of an EXTRA

I have never had the aspiration to be an actress but when a friend called and asked me if I would like to be an extra on a popular television show that is coming out I agreed. I am always up for a new experience and in this chapter of figuring out what I am passionate about in life it never hurts to try new things. So, my directions indicated that I needed to be on location at 10AM. I wake up extra early and arrive ten minutes until 10AM (trying to make a great first impression b/c I am usually late!).
Initially, all the extra’s are sitting at tables with chairs until we are asked to move into a corner with folding chairs because the table and regular chairs are for the cast and crew. “So, okay cool. I know my place. Everyone has to start at the bottom.” After sitting for 3 hours FINALLY called on set. I was a little nervous but nonetheless ready to get my silent acting on. After about take 5 million and ten, I started to think I don’t believe I am passionate about this acting thing.
Bathroom time. A friend of mine and I use the bathroom by set. On our way out of the restroom and back to set we see a snack table and just wanted a couple of almonds. Right as we are about to reach for some nuts we hear someone politely say, “I believe your snack table is downstairs this is for cast and crew only.” DANG! Talk about reality check. If the camera’s and being on set for a couple of hours were starting to give me the big head that certainly brought me back to reality! LOL!
Lunch Time. Shooting stops for about half and hour so everyone can eat lunch. Which let me remind you, lunch was at 6:30 PM. The extra’s had to wait in our corner until everyone else fixed their plates first.
Still shooting. Around 1AM with no sign of someone yelling “It’s a wrap” I was still waiting for the second scene I was supposed to be in. It was at that very moment I decided acting was not my passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment