Monday, October 25, 2010

Decide what you want

I don’t know about you but the hardest transition I have had to go through is the one from college to the real world. It is as if I don’t even know me. I once read, “You don’t really start living until you are 40 because the first 20 years of your life someone tells you what to do and the second 20 years of your life you figure out what YOU want to do.” I am starting to see the truth in this statement. I lived a life where I did what I thought you were supposed to do and never really took the time to stop and figure out what I was passionate about. How many of you can relate?
The indispensable first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: decide what you want.” – Ben Stein
I am currently reading a book entitled, “The Success Principles. How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be” (if in your mind you just thought “Oh heck no I am not reading anymore of this self-help junkies posts”… let me finish!) by Jack Canfield. The book has a straightforward, empowering way of helping you realize where you want to go in your life and exactly how to get there.
If you are like me and find yourself unsure of what you want, Jack introduces a terrific exercise that I encourage you to try:
1.       Make an “I WANT” list
One of the easiest ways to begin clarifying what you truly want is to make a list of 30 things you want to do, 30 things you want to have, and 30 things you want before you die.
2.       Make a list of 20 things you love to do, and then think of ways you can make a living doing some of those things.
For example, if you love sports, you could play, be a sportswriter, photographer, or work in sports management.
3.       Create a vision of where you want to be. To create a balanced and successful life, your vision needs to include the following seven areas: work and career, finances, recreation and free time, health and fitness, relationships, personal goals, and contribution to the larger community.
“IF YOU GET CLEAR ON THE WHAT,
THE HOW WILL BE TAKEN CARE OF”

No comments:

Post a Comment